Monday 9 May 2011

Fan art by Liam Brazier

I'm writing this post, even though I'm a little bit frightened (and strangely excited) that any moment now, fifteen massive men wearing full SWAT gear are going to break through all the entrances to my house screaming, shine a torch in my eyes and bundle me into a van never to be seen again under the express instruction of George Lucas' copyright infringement scary badass legal collective. But you know what I'd say to them as they broke my typing fingers (yes, I'm a two finger typer. I know, it's totally messed up. But I'm still fast. I get on just fine with my two indexes, I'm just like the rest of you, I don't need no special treatment)? I'd say, in what I imagine to be a liberal accent:
"You can't suppress talent dude! The MAN George Lucas, May Peace Be Upon Him, is wrong to like, try and put financial boundaries on creativity dude! You can't OWN creativity brother! PEACE! We're spreading the message man, it's fear that stops you from sharing the magic. And we all know about fear man, fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering..."
Then probably one of them would kick me in the ovaries and I'd pass out and that would be the end of my story because it's getting a bit weird now, but anyway I really like these prints!




They're totally freaking awesome. Okay so maybe not all (or any) of you are fans of Star Wars, but Liam Brazier has managed to transform C-3PO, helping him to transcend his robotic nature and providing him with an elegant sense of dignity (and C-3PO is not an elegant character, he's *just* annoying).  He's lent the humble Stormtrooper a sense of ethereal gravitas; no longer just a clone, but a complex, fragmented, 3-dimensional character worthy of his own portrait, his own place on the mantle. The gloomy depths of the Bounty Hunter's helmet stare boldly into the eyes of the Viewer, daring us to gaze for a moment into the abyss. Okay so I'm borrowing heavily from my A-Level Art essays now, but seriously, I think these are ace and if you know anyone else who likes Star Wars, they probably will too.

Good old Liam is selling giclee prints of these bad boys at his inPRNT shop in various sizes, 12 x 18 inches for $20 and 18 x 24 inches for $40. They're on 100% cotton rag archival paper, which might not mean anything to you, but let me tell you as a photographer, it's blooming expensive and it basically means it will last forever (well, about 300 years actually, if kept in the right conditions).

It's not just Star Wars though...look, Superman too!


Probably best that we all buy these before George Lucas uses the force of his legal team to have him executed, because then they'll be worth four bajillion times the price you can buy them for now!


I originally wrote this post for About Your Dress Blog, you can still find it amongst heaps of other posts by me and two other talented ladies there if you'd like to go and have a peek.

0 comments:

Post a Comment