Monday 31 October 2011

Cath Kidston gnome jumper

I was a bit over Cath Kidston. !*Confessional moment*! I was starting to find some of the floral stuff tawdry and thoughtless; I was starting to get the impression that dear old Cath just spotted any old print with some foliage on it and thought RIGHT! Let's stick this on everything I can think of and make a shed-load of dosh!

Let's face it, a lot of the Cath Kidston merchandise sits smugly in the posh-upper-high-street-price bracket, reserved, in Nomworld anyway, for birthday presents for very special people. Unless there's a sale on. What? I'm from the North, I have no qualms about wanting good value for money. When I'm buying things for myself, I'm only prepared to pay over about £45 for something if it a. literally makes me ache with longing, b. squeal with excitement or c. makes me look really, really hot. This Cath Kidston gnome blue jasmine jumper ticks two of these criteria (not the hot one. I have big boobs, jumpers always make me look like I'm smuggling galia melons):

I love it. Lots of my besties from my hometown (and, interestingly, even one of my bosses at work) call me Gnome, which stems back to an A level drama class in Year 12 where our rather well spoken and beloved tutor, Mr Jones, tried to call me 'Nom' in an attempt to be down with the kids but just couldn't quite manage it with his absurdly posh accent.

Here are some facts about the gnome jumper: In the Cath Kidston catalogue, it's called the 'gnome blue intarsia lambswool jumper', but on the website it's simply called the 'Gnome Jasmine Jumper'. It costs £65 and it comes with a flock of accessories (naturally, nobody could accuse Cath of not taking a print and ramming it down everybody's throat until they start puking bouquets) such as the matching hat for £25, scarf for £38 and toadstool gloves for £25.

My one qualm about this range is that on the website, the copywriter continually describes this range using the 'Q' word. Yes that's right, quirky *gags*. That word offends me; it's used by people who also think the words 'kooky', 'nutty' and 'wacky'* are appropriate to describe people who aren't Tax Inspectors or Accountants. Or by Tax Inspectors or Accountants when they're referring to themselves on the weekends.


*'Zany' too, don't forget about zany.


I originally wrote this post for About Your Dress Blog, you can still find it amongst heaps of other posts by me and two other talented ladies there if you'd like to go and have a peek.

0 comments:

Post a Comment