Monday 14 March 2011

I've felt worse

As you have perhaps gathered from my overall tone and style, I am not what you might call...usual. I fully recognise that my taste for granny chic, animal print and kitsch is overt and not to everyone's taste. Yes, when my house is complete it probably WILL have a flamingo on the lawn, even though dear old miniature daschund Fritz might end up trying to use it as a peeing post, because I love how ridiculous flamingoes are. I also really want one of those drinking fountains that cascades the booze in delightful sprinkles so that I can ALWAYS have some form of cocktail to hand. One of the rooms might well be decked out to resemble a bedouin tent complete with squillions of enormous cushions and a shisha. My bedroom will be a vast nest of cosiness with a wall full of ornate golden mirrors so I can check myself out and maybe pretend to sing into my hairbrush any time I want. Sigh, it will be an overwhelming relam of crazy and I for one cannot wait to get there.

So the point I'm getting to is, that I love anything whimsical. For one, it gives me great pleasure to look at things that are strange and beautiful and it also gives people a good warning that I'm different. This means I generally don't have to go through the laborious task of enduring dull conversations with a polite smile on my face, because anyone too 'normal' spots the crazy signals a mile away and crawls back into Boringland sparing me a reminder of the definition of ennui. Consequently, imagine my sheer delight at discovering lovely Lizzie Pearce's shop on Etsy. She makes these exquisite accessories out of felt by hand, and she's super good at it.


Take this deer brooch for example, doesn't it look fresh out of Bambi? It's 12cm in length from nose to ears, so a real feature piece. I absolutely love it. It's hand made out of 100% wool and just looks so delicate and beautiful. It costs just over £115, plus £5 p&p - she sends everything by airsure so that you can track and trace your items.

If that's a little too daring for you, there's also this ADORABLE felt mouse brooch, lookathowcuteitis! He's £75 and is 7cm x 4cm, so a bit more discreet.


PETA activists would totally throw paint on you for wearing fox fur, but I'm sure they'd be cool about this fox necklace, which costs £97.


If you prefer bunnies (and let's face it, who doesn't go check out The Daily Bunny to cheer themeselves up when they're feeling blue? You'd be dead inside if that website didn't make you squeal with delight.) then you might like this pretty rabbit hair comb, which costs £40.50. Gosh she's so sweet isn't she? She looks JUST like that Clover off of Watership Down, the doe who escapes from the hutch and then gets recaptured by that awful Farmer with the gun. Man, I hate that film. The music still makes me cry.


Last but certainly not least is this awesome Rabbit Fascinator, which will set you back the best part of £200, but let's face it, ain't gonna be nobody at the Races sporting this bad boy. I've included two pictures so you can see all of the detail.


Seriously, that's amazing right? You could DEFINITELY pretend that you were like Snow White or Cinderella in those scenes where they get all the little woodland creatures to help them with their tasks, singing away cheerfully as you go about your day. What more could you possibly ask for?

Selected pieces of Lizzie's work are also available at AYD featured shop, From The Wilde. I also follow her on Twitter, on @lizzieneedles. You should too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment