Tuesday 30 June 2009

linkage

I'm fortunate enough to be able to work with other photographers on weddings. It's perfect because I get the opportunity to increase my experience, I get more work and the primary photographer can focus on the 'money shots', which I in turn, learn how to create!

These are the websites of the two people I work with:

Will Fenning of Fenning-Brown Photography and Jagdish Patel's company, frontline images.

People can be snobby about wedding photography, but I love it. It's so very interesting. You see a little constructed microcosm of people's lives. At the start, everybody is trying to restrain themselves and behave properly, but come the end of the evening, all the pretension is over. At English weddings people are generally drunk and more relaxed. At the start of the day, I find a lot of people HATE having their picture taken, then towards the end of the night they love it and strike ridiculous poses.

This weekend just gone I assisted on my first Hindu wedding. It was amazing, so vibrant and exciting, all the customs were totaly alien to me, which made for a very interesting (and sometimes challenging) few days. I took this picture of Priti getting ready in her hotel room. I'm a bit cross with myself because it's a little bit soft, and I prefer really crisp, sharp pictures, but I think I can probably get away with it being stylised. Some people like that. It's too romantic for my taste though.
Isn't she beautiful though? I know all brides look beautiful, but honestly, she looked awesome! Breathtaking. I have no idea how she moved. If that was me, I'd have smudged my mascara, I'd have pulled off my falsies in about a second, I'd have accidentally messed my hair up, lost an earring, forgotten to apply lipstick, and probably caught the delicate fabric on everything even mildly sharp and snagged it. I'd probably also fall over in front of everyone. She was so graceful. all day. And it was a LONG day, believe me. In my research for the Drag Kings project, I've been reading a lot of feminist literature about the pressures to conform to femininity, the idea of artifice and constructed beauty being the height of traditional, patriarchal femininity. This took hours of hard work. Amazing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment