Wednesday 28 December 2011

Happy Campers

I have a number of friends who adore VW Beetles and camper vans; they're so beloved by so many people that they've become cheerful iconic style symbols. I've noticed heaps of camper van memorabilia around over the last couple of years, to the point of me thinking that pretty soon it'll go the way of the 'Keep Calm and Carry On' ephemera (tacky variations of which are now blazoned across t-shirts, coasters, posters and cups throughout the kingdom),  however, making something yourself goes some way towards avoiding the tacky-taint. Makes it all personal, like, doesn't it?

I've been nosing about on Etsy lately, hunting for cross-stitch patterns which feature VW-mobiles, so that I can either suggest them to my friends or pretend to myself that I'll purchase and finish one in time for a friend's birthday (realistically, this is never likely to happen, as I usually come up with the idea a week before somebodies birthday, then I have too many other things to occupy myself with to finish it in time, then it either hides under the bed for two years or I have to hand it over half-completed, and really, who needs that?). Anyway, tangents aside, here are a couple of patterns that I've spotted for the avid VW fan in your life.

If you're looking for a full kit, Scootybeth from Georgia, US, has this Lemon Punch Volkswagen Beetle pattern, which comes with Aida and silks for $15 (just under a tenner) plus $4 (about £2.50) p&p. It's bright and sunshiny and kind of makes me think about rainbows and lollipops.


If you don't want to pay p&p and you already have some supplies on standby, why not have a look at this Happy Camper VW van cushion PDF from Pop Soup Supplies, which costs $7 (under a fiver).
Pop Soup will email you the PDF once payment is processed and you can print out and get stitching, happy as a, err, camper?

0 comments:

Post a Comment